Thursday, April 20, 2017

Cheat Cheat 4 step Jangjorim| Korean Food Recipe!

Today, I'm going to be sharing a Korean Recipe known as "Jangjorm" which is braised beef in soy sauce. If you've seen my recipe for Korean Soy Sauce Eggs, this is very similar and in fact, that dish is one component of this dish! 

I say this is a cheat cheat recipe, because Jangjorim is usually a long process that takes minimum 1 hour, but because I don't have the skills to properly execute Jangjorim, I thought I would try and modify the recipe. It's not the exact same, but the concept is similar, and tastes great! 

Ingredients:
(feeds one person) 
Beef (I think marinating beef would be more effective but I just used a leftover steak I had. Honestly, just use any beef you have lying around.)
1/2 a potato (if you like potatoes, add more potatoes) 
1-2 eggs (but you can add more if you're an egg fan)  

**I also made cauliflower rice which I will also share the recipe to at the end, but for this you just need olive oil and cauliflower.**

Step 1:

In a pot of boiling water, add your potato, egg, and beef. 
Leave your potato and egg in the pot until they are fully cooked. Egg should be hard boiled. 
I put the beef in the water too because that's what a couple of other recipes had, because you have to make beef broth, but I just stuck it in there for a couple of minutes until some of the fat got removed from the beef. 

Step 2:
In another pot, add enough water to fill about 1/4 of a small sized pot. Add enough soy sauce so that the colour is a dark brown. 
Add 3 cloves of garlic. 
I added about 1 1/2 tablespoons of brown sugar, but you can adjust this depending on how sweet you like your marinade! 

Step 3: 
Once your potato and egg are fully cooked, add them to the pot of soy sauce. Make sure to cut your potato into bite sized pieces before adding to the pot.
Take out the beef when it's fully cooked. Then the potato. Take out the egg when you are satisfied with the colour of the egg. if you want more soy sauce flavour, take out the egg when it's a darker shade of brown. 

Transfer the beef, potato and egg into a separate bowl and pour a little bit of the soy sauce mixture in, but not all. Make sure to take out the garlic. Wrap it with plastic wrap, and stick it in the fridge overnight. 

When you are ready to eat, shred the beef into bit sized pieces and cut the egg in half. I served this cold over a hot bed of cauliflower rice. 

Cauliflower Rice recipe:
Chop up your washed cauliflower into tiny pieces so it resembles couscous. Try and get it as fine as you can!
In a skillet with olive oil over low-medium heat, add the cauliflower with some salt. Cover the pan with a lid, and stir frequently so it doesn't burn!
You should get fluffy cauliflower! 
Overall, the meat was REALLY well done and kind of chewy. (usually jangjorim is supposed to be super tender because you're marinating it for hours on end and braising it for hours on end) but it was still super delicious and all the flavours were there! This was a very hearty dish that I would easily grab seconds of. 
I think the beef may need some more experimenting (maybe I don't need to boil it?) but this is a super shortcut recipe to jangjorim, but I think all the flavour and same tastes are there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment